Dental problems, especially caries, are not inevitable and surely can be prevented. But how exactly? By taking in consideration some practical tips:
- Try to limit sugary snacks between the meals; if taking sugar containing food eat it with the main meal;
- Reduce consumption of acidic drinks between your meals; tea/coffee without sugar, water or plain milk are the best choices;
- Avoid acidic food or drink before brushing your teeth or after brushing your teeth at night;
- Choose sugar free medicine whenever possible;
- Good oral hygiene – use the fluoride toothpaste, correct brushing and flossing is vital;
- Ending your meals with some cheese or milk will help to buffer the acids;
- Wholegrain foods, cheese and peanuts, sugar free chewing gum increase salivary flow, which helps to protect against caries. Stay healthy!